Monday 6 May 2013

Self Evaluation OUGD401 Context of Practice



BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
04
 Module Code 
OUGD401               


 Module Title
DESIGN CONTEXT


END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME

Amy Hill

­­­
1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I have developed my contextual knowledge broadly and specifically to graphic design through lectures and seminars. I have learnt to look in books and journals for academic/ accurate/ reliable sources and how to reference these in the Harvard Referencing way. I would also say I have improved my analytical skills, whether that be applied to a piece of text, image or my own work. I have also tried to contextualise my research into all briefs and began to think more about the influences around us, learning from the past. I have also learnt about the development of production methods we use today e.g. screen print.

2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I have applied my contextual knowledge to my design work, for instance my publication I have created. I have also gained more skills in screen-printing. And I have considered the stock and what it may imply by using it. 

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I think that strength of my essay is my ability to find relevant and accurate sources from a range of books. I also think I am quite good at analysing a piece of work and thinking about the context around it, i.e. what was happening socially/ politically and culturally. And strengths of my publication are, the way it still looks appropriate for the magazine I was looking at, the way I have applies a message to the publication. And when I had looked further into certain issues I have found where there influence came from.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

A weakness of mine when essay writing is sometimes I slip into conversational tone, and I also am not fully able to Harvard Reference correctly yet as it is my first attempt at this system. In the future I will just continue too look up the correct way of referencing and continue to reference to gain more experience. I would also say another weakness of mine is my lack of use of journals and to address this I need to start looking at and using them more often.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1.     When I am referencing I will look at the Harvard referencing system in order to do it correctly.
2.     I will try to really apply my contextual knowledge into my practical, and be successful at synthesizing the two, in order to develop my whole design practice.
3.     I will aim to look in more journals and reference from here, as I am missing out on information and knowledge of current and recently past work, which is relevant to the industry now.
4.     Avoid conversational tone in my analysis and essay writing, in order to be within academic conventions.
5.     Plan ahead with work and book printing slots early so that I have more time to bind and put books together.



6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance



x

Punctuality



x

Motivation



x

­­­­Commitment



x

Quantity of work produced


x


Quality of work produced



x

Contribution to the group

x



The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self-evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment