Monday 28 October 2013

Study Task3: Identity: Othering Task



This was the intial advert I saw, I think that this is almost obvious example of othering. The watch is being sold thorough an image of upper class white males, meaning that the watch is attaching itself to this identity. I think that this is a very specific audience and reassures anyone who buys it that they are this, and not a woman, a different race, and a different class. The views of others on this watch would be that the person was wealthy, upper class and predominately white.
The men are well groomed and you can see that they almost haven't really aged, their dress has perhaps got a bit smarter in the second image perhaps showing that they are wealthy business men and wealth will always be with them and so this others anyone who isn't wealthy or has a wealthy family, the advert is almost saying only these type of people can wear their watch.
I also think that as this is a father and son it almost gives the idea of a perfect family, yet there is no mother present and so it is very patriarchal. This others out all women, almost saying that they are inferior to the men of the family. 
I would also say the advert is very traditional looking, the men are obviously white, and to me either British or American, and so this very traditional heritage looking advert becomes very specific to what it isn't in its style. And so it is othering out other countries and societies in particular the east.  




Again I saw this (the same company) I think it reinforces my earlier statement about the presence of patriarchy. I also think that the father and son again in this are upper class, due to the boat and the shirts. I think even more so than the previous ad that this would make anyone who doesn't have a strong father figure in their life would feel othered, especially a male, as it is a male only feature.  


And then I saw this advert, from the same range of adverts, and now that women are actually featured they appear to be child-like, immature, by the portrayal of them playing with the bubbles, it gives the stereotypical 'away with the fairies' view not concerned with work or business like the men in the first advert. And so this is still othering women, and I think that it is quite sexist, saying that women don't and aren't in careers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment